• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Ardent storyline: Cannot complete smuggle for governor quest

smrtwhkd

Master Mariner
When you report back to the governor after finishing the smuggle, there is no option to turn in the report. As a result, you cannot complete the quest. The save attached is after you take the mission but before speaking to the smuggler. Play it through, you will see you cannot report back.

Attachments

• bug5.png
    bug5.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 269
  • compile.log
    25.9 KB · Views: 246
  • error.log
    281 bytes · Views: 254
  • system.log
    516 bytes · Views: 246
  • Pre-smuggle.rar
    1 MB · Views: 244
I loaded up that savegame and was able to complete the quest without any trouble.

When you return to port, before you go talk to the governor again, check the "Items" section of your inventory. Do you have the "Governor Orders" and "Smuggling Report"? You should have the "Governor Orders", he gave it to you when you accepted the mission - it's your "Get Out of Jail Free" card in case the coastguard shows up. You should have received the "Smuggling Report" shortly after you made the deal with the smugglers, possibly only when you arrived back in port. Your "compile.log" file shows that the piece of code which is supposed to give you this item did trigger, so you should have it.

When you talk to the governor, there should be a new dialog option:
smuggling_governor.jpg
Click on "I've got something you'll want to see", not on the usual "My name is <insert name here>". This bypasses the normal quest dialog and takes you straight to the dialog where you report completion of the mission.

Next time you do one of these missions, when you talk to the smugglers, watch for the dialog option "Thank you. Now that you have proven yourselves to be smugglers, you are under arrest!" The smugglers resist arrest and you have to fight them, and if you do, you get a much bigger reward from the governor than if you simply complete the deal.

Attachments

• smuggling_report.jpg
    smuggling_report.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 330
...The smugglers resist arrest and you have to fight them, and if you do, you get a much bigger reward from the governor than if you simply complete the deal.
That's interesting. :cool: I might betray them smugglers on our next rendezvous just for the fun of it. :guns: Also, tomorrow's Friday so, smugglers, I'm comin' for ye! :pflag

You're already betraying them by working for the governor. By killing them yourself, you're just saving the governor the trouble and expense of sending the coastguard to get them (or saving the coastguard the effort, if they already showed up).

@Grey Roger: So the compile file shows that I got the report? But when I talk to the governor, I have NO option for "I've got something you'll want to see" and i have no such report in my inventory. I only have the other 3 options. However, when I meet the smugglers I always get "Thank you. Now that you have proven yourselves to be smugglers, you are under arrest!" So basically I cannot do this quest peacefully any more? I have to kill the smugglers now? Would killing smugglers affect my relation to them? I don't want to end up like the smugglers don't want to trade with me anymore.

It should be possible to complete the quest peacefully because I loaded your savegame and then did exactly that. The screenshots in post #2 were from your game!

If I read "compile.log" correctly, after talking to the smugglers, you went to your ship's deck before going to sea. See what happens if, after talking to them, you go straight to sea instead. It shouldn't make a difference but I suspect it might, and if so, I'll need to work out what to do about it.

If you kill the smugglers, they won't instantly hate you provided you finish them all off. There are no surviving witnesses, so other smugglers know something went wrong but don't know exactly what happened; they'll get suspicious and will eventually distrust you if you keep killing smugglers. If you start to fight them and then run away, they definitely know it was you because the survivors saw you. In any case, even if the smugglers hate you, all that happens is that the next time you talk to the agent in the tavern, you'll have to pay him a fee before they'll allow you to smuggle again. (Some other sidequests can turn the smugglers hostile to you and you need to pay before you can smuggle again.)

Something is definitely not right. I mean there may be something you have it on your side, but missing on my side. See in the picture, upper left hand corner, there is no message saying I received a new item (i.e. the smuggle report) after the smuggle deal. My inventory has no report (in picture 2). Also, there is no way for me to go directly to sea without first getting to ship deck. Fast travel has no such option.

Attachments

• Bug.png
    Bug.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 236
  • Bug2.png
    Bug2.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 258
  • compile.log
    13.9 KB · Views: 233
  • error.log
    391 bytes · Views: 257
  • system.log
    410 bytes · Views: 261
  • Bug3.png
    Bug3.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 264
If I killed the smugglers then I get the reports. So, as of now, I cannot peacefully complete the mission.

Attachments

• Bug4.png
    Bug4.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 235
  • Bug5.png
    Bug5.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 229
You're already betraying them by working for the governor. By killing them yourself, you're just saving the governor the trouble and expense of sending the coastguard to get them (or saving the coastguard the effort, if they already showed up).
Unless I'm only using the governor for that safe pass in case I get busted one day, no? :rolleyes: But now that you've mentioned that killing them would get me a better reward, I might try to deliberately get busted then. Will this ruin my relationship for the smugglers just on that colony or for the entire Caribbean? Because if it's the latter, I'd rather keep dealing with them.

Also, there is no way for me to go directly to sea without first getting to ship deck. Fast travel has no such option.
You don't need to use fast travel, especially if you're on a shore and the boat is just a short distance away. Walk to the boat (or to the dock if you're in a port), then you should get an icon to board. Press "Enter", and you should get the option to go straight to sea.

However, I think I've solved the problem. Before giving you the report, the quest has to check that you're on the right island - we can't have you taking a mission from the governor of Port Royale and then smuggling the stuff to Cayman, can we? :D There are two ways for code to figure out which island you're on, and it turns out that only one of them gets it right when you're on a ship's deck. Unfortunately I used the wrong one.

Put the attached file into "PROGRAM\QUESTS", then you should get the report when you go to your deck.

Unless I'm only using the governor for that safe pass in case I get busted one day, no? :rolleyes: But now that you've mentioned that killing them would get me a better reward, I might try to deliberately get busted then. Will this ruin my relationship for the smugglers just on that colony or for the entire Caribbean? Because if it's the latter, I'd rather keep dealing with them.
You don't keep the pass. If you show it to the coastguard then they take it. If you don't, the governor takes it when you return to report on your mission.

Provided you kill all the smugglers, the guild does not hate you at once. They know something went wrong with the deal but with no witnesses, they don't know what you did - for all they know, the gang was attacked by coastguards or a rival gang. If you keep doing it, they'll get suspicious and eventually block you.

Once you're blocked, it's for the whole Caribbean. But the smugglers' guild puts profit before permanent grudges. The next time you talk to an agent in a tavern, he says that you're blocked but that he'll lift the block for a price. Pay him, then arrange the deal - and then arrest and kill the smugglers again. :D

(Arresting smugglers during a governor quest isn't the only way to upset the guild. Doing the "Smuggling for Thomas O'Reily" sidequest and choosing to help Thomas rather than chicken out when you meet the gang on Rocky Shore will also make them hate you.)

Attachments

• quests_common.c
    261.2 KB · Views: 245
Back