• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Announcing New Horizons Remastered - Bringing our best work to Unity

True direct sail with all islands on the same scene would be absolutely perfect, land can stay seperate but i really do want true direct sail to be a thing.
then ideally all encounters could slowly spawn just over the horizon and sail in a random direction without the current loading that makes some existing ships disappear
Technically the islands would each be in their own scene but they would load asynchronously and relative to the player. That whole concept is way down the road and won't be in the game for a long time.

Just as reference, Man O' War Corsair, the Warhammer pirate game, uses Unity as well and has a very big map with direct sail and encounters without loading screens. Of course that's from a professional, if small studio with an actual (if not huge) budget behind it, but it's definitely technically achievable.

Also, it doesn't have to render full 360 degrees big islands because it's mostly just one long continental coastline

Just as reference, Man O' War Corsair, the Warhammer pirate game, uses Unity as well and has a very big map with direct sail and encounters without loading screens. Of course that's from a professional, if small studio with an actual (if not huge) budget behind it, but it's definitely technically achievable.

Also, it doesn't have to render full 360 degrees big islands because it's mostly just one long continental coastline
Yes, it is possible. In fact the technology is not that difficult to initially work into, but it introduces more complexity than it returns in terms of functionality. Unfortunately everyone is focused on what could be possible when we are focusing on what is achievable, quickly. Having to track all those objects in a completely different set of x/z coords including any velocities and such is more than we want to try to handle at this stage. In a year or two? Sure. But right now it would eat a ton of time, a ton of effort, and not really add a lot to the gameplay.

Yes, it is possible. In fact the technology is not that difficult to initially work into, but it introduces more complexity than it returns in terms of functionality. Unfortunately everyone is focused on what could be possible when we are focusing on what is achievable, quickly. Having to track all those objects in a completely different set of x/z coords including any velocities and such is more than we want to try to handle at this stage. In a year or two? Sure. But right now it would eat a ton of time, a ton of effort, and not really add a lot to the gameplay.
Yeah, I can see how that would be more trouble than worth as a starting point. I only brought it up as a reference for what could be done in the futre. I assumed this thread's comments were more for wishful thinking than anything else, as I assumed the down-to-earth sensible talking is being done in the development forum, but it's better not to get too carried away anyway.

Needless to say, I'll be more than glad to localize NHR in Spanish when it comes to that.

Last edited:
Oh that water looks gorgeous. Its almost drinkable.(please do not drink real sea water).

also im finally learning how to use unity.
hopefully i will be able to see this develop into something awesome.

Yeah, I can see how that would be more trouble than worth as a starting point. I only brought it up as a reference for what could be done in the futre. I assumed this thread's comments were more for wishful thinking than anything else, as I assumed the down-to-earth sensible talking is being done in the development forum, but it's better not to get too carried away anyway.

Needless to say, I'll be more than glad to localize NHR in Spanish when it comes to that.
I am just really touchy about NHR going the way of HoO with massive scope creep taking its' toll on the project.

I have a localization asset we will be implementing fairly early on, so we can hopefully make localization a breeze.

Indeed whatever is done, it MUST be kept simple to start with. Any needless complexity that can be avoided must be avoided.
You have my full support on that. :onya

+1

I'd be happy to start just sailing around in a updated sailing model killing auto-generated ships and getting a feel for the new system - everything else stems from that I suppose in a way, trade, travel, adventures on land - they all need the ship part working.

Awesome news! I had mistaken this for Blue Horizons, which I already saw the announcement for, so this is the first time I noticed New Horizons new update.
Good job to all you folks that are keeping naval history genre alive!
And booo to all them zombie, fantasy, laser, call of duty, superficial artificial games! :bonaparte

The project is closed-source, so we're not currently distributing the code freely. If you have any models you'd like to add though, please let us know so we can consider it for a future release.

just two questions :

will the problem of collusion for the new buildable building feature be fixed so you can't just god through houses you build and will the limit of 15 can be changed ?

will modding will become easier like adding new locations and new stuff as well new features ? since i think we don't have the limitation of the engine anymore ?

thanks and good work so far!!
PS: graphics are good!!

Edit:
will the number of fleet stay limited to 4 ships can it be extended and can we perhaps allow some of our fleets ships to guard some places like conquered towns so if i have more then 10 ships i take 4 and make the rest patrol my town and attack any enemy ships?

sorry for many questions !! again great job!
and i know it won't happen any time soon since you are all occupied but just wanna know if it is possible that would be amazing and we can all who love modding help with what we can to make your work easier at least a little bit !

Last edited:
will the problem of collusion for the new buildable building feature be fixed so you can't just god through houses you build and will the limit of 15 can be changed ?
Yes, this will be fixed once the feature is implemented. We can add objects with colliders and even update the walkable area for NPCs in real time, so this would work as it was always intended.

will modding will become easier like adding new locations and new stuff as well new features ? since i think we don't have the limitation of the engine anymore ?
Adding new content as mods/DLC should be easier, yes. New features are not bound by the Storm Engine's limitations, either. ;)

will the number of fleet stay limited to 4 ships can it be extended and can we perhaps allow some of our fleets ships to guard some places like conquered towns so if i have more then 10 ships i take 4 and make the rest patrol my town and attack any enemy ships?
There's no reason to keep the limit to 4 ships, so this could be expanded. The UI will likely be overhauled to accommodate this as well.
I can't promise specific AI abilities yet, but telling a ship to guard something should be possible in theory.

Adding new content as mods/DLC should be easier, yes. New features are not bound by the Storm Engine's limitations, either. ;)
Hooray!..finally we are gone from these limitations ! and time for modding is back !
time to go back working on my asian towns models since it will become easier to implement !
and some story lines !!

There's no reason to keep the limit to 4 ships, so this could be expanded. The UI will likely be overhauled to accommodate this as well.
I can't promise specific AI abilities yet, but telling a ship to guard something should be possible in theory.
well glad it can be changed as for ships maybe add an option in the command when you command it to guard you or one of your fleet ships maybe you can ask it to guard the town fort or the port which the ship follow the command and will not follow you until you order it back and so can be moved from your fleet to the defending patrol ...
well sorry excitement got me ! anyway thanks for the fast replay and good luck with your work !!

Back