• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Announcing New Horizons Remastered - Bringing our best work to Unity

"x86" presumably refers to the x86 architecture common to the Intel 8086 CPU and its successors. The designation was invented before 64-bit CPU's. Some systems still use 32-bit CPU's today and some software needs different versions for 32-bit and 64-bit (or simply won't work on one version or the other).

32 and 64 bit.
Don't ask me why programmers decided to call 32 bit "x86", because that sounds needlessly confusing to me.
It's a global thing though. :shrug

As far as i know, that goes back to DOS times as we had 286/386/486 processors/CPU. No one thought about 64bit that days!

G'day Mateys!

How y'all doin? So I've been occasionally lurking these waters for a while now (since way before Hearts-of-Oak had been announced s'far as I remember) and I finally decided to say hello.. err.. Ahoy! At this point, for what it's worth, I personally think it was a really smart decision to go-ahead and simply start rebuilding New Horizons (as glorious as HoO would have been no doubt!). I can only figure that the scope of a port/rebuild project like that would present itself much more manageable than creating a brand new game from scratch. Anyway.. I'm sure you're very much aware of all a' that so let me just get to the point:

I'd be happy to help out with this project if I can :)

my (limited) skillset:

I've dabbled a bit in coding. certainly wouldn't call myself "experienced" but I learn fast (I actually do). been reading a couple dozens of hours worth of SD:TEHO code over the last few days just for funzies.
I'd say I'm a capable writer (took 4 years of creative writing in high-school)
I'm also fluent in both german and english (I think?).. so I could do some translating if you need me to (I understand there's actually a sizeable german community that's been modding Akella-Games, right?)

on top of that, I've also got a whole lot of free-time at my disposal (have to deal with a few persistent medical issues atm.. but I've found that keeping myself occupied and productive is actually quite therapeutic for me anyway.. so if you've got busywork that I can handle, feel free to throw it my way)

Cheers, Matt (btw, is there a recruitment thread of sorts? because I wasn't able to find one)

Back