• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Ahoy mateys! (and a question)

Bromden

Powder Monkey
Hello folks!

I have to say after a couple of days lurking, you have a nice community here.

The name's Bromden, and I'm new here. After seeing a couple of screenies on a forum about this beauty,
I rushed to a friend of mine and commandeered his copy of PotC. I installed build 14 beta, and my mind is blown every 5 minutes since then.

Got one thing I couldn't find the solution for: I was hiring too much officers (captured captains n' such),
and now I see that half of my passengers are useless. So my simple question is, how do I get rid of these lazy bastards?

Welcome to the community Bromden!

So, don't worry about the passengers, they won't matter to you but if you lose a good officer you could replace him by one of the "Lazy Bastard".

You can meet some of your officers on your ship's deck and fire them.
If they don't show up anywhere on your ship, assign them to your shore party and fire them that way.
In all cases, firing is done by talking to them.

Note that you can assign officers to different roles, which might give them a use.
Since Build 14 Beta 1, they do NOT need to be in your shore party for their skills to take effect.
Additionally, as A Drop 'O Rum says, you might like to keep some backup ones around.

Ach, talking to them, I dunno how I managed to not try this. Thanks for the help. ;)

My shore party is pretty tough, not one of them died for a long time now.
I shall keep the better folks as backup though, but there are at least 6 of low level shipless ex-captains, who are only good for drinking up my rum reserves. (I had a habit of hiring every enemy captain who looked cool) :)

Thanks again guys, now back to the plunderin' n' wenchin'

I shall keep the better folks as backup though, but there are at least 6 of low level shipless ex-captains, who are only good for drinking up my rum reserves. (I had a habit of hiring every enemy captain who looked cool) :)

You can talk to the captured captains in your cargo hold when in Port -- options include ransoming them -- letting them go free if you just want to get rid of them --- or hiring them as officers.

:keith

Aye, I am aware of that, the ex-captains I talked about were all hired - to take their ships to the nearest port, or just out of cool looking-ness - but now they are as useless as the tongueless lawyer in Polanski's Pirates.
Now that you mention captives - is there a certain condition for the ransom dialogue to appear, or I just wasn't looking hard enough when talking to 'em?

Ahoy! :dance

The ransom dialogue appears in the cargo hold. Not always, but usually.

Something not mentioned is that it is a good idea to cycle your officers in and out of your shore party. Members of your shore party seem to get better faster than captains of ships and idle officers hardly get better at all.

Now that you mention captives - is there a certain condition for the ransom dialogue to appear, or I just wasn't looking hard enough when talking to 'em?

I think you may have to talk to them in a port of their own nation. eg Pirates in A Pirate port --- Dutch in a Dutch port etc.

If you hire a cool-looking, but useless captain, his outfit should appear in the "Select Outfit" interface in F2>Character.
You can then assign that outfit to a better officer so you get the best of both world! :onya

The ransom dialog is supposed to appear when your ship is in a port of their nation only.
This doesn't seem to always work, but it is intended to. :facepalm

If you hire a cool-looking, but useless captain, his outfit should appear in the "Select Outfit" interface in F2>Character.
You can then assign that outfit to a better officer so you get the best of both world! :onya

The ransom dialog is supposed to appear when your ship is in a port of their nation only.
This doesn't seem to always work, but it is intended to. :facepalm

Thanks for all the help guys, I'm starting to get a grip on things. I've got money, wenches and a beautiful ship, and I look cool all along.
Here's how I look when I roam the caribbean:

My ship, the Leprechaun

My shore party

(I'm doing the NH story, I just use the Devlin skins, because - y'know - they look cool xD: )

I've been looking for an excuse to post this screenie. And speaking of cool outfits....

Nice pics! However, His Cursedness looks a bit bugged...

I've got another question/problem:

My spyglass is set to realistic, but the most info I can get about other ships are only their names, and that only at close distance (I've got a masterwork spyglass). As I read the description in the options, it should show me a lot more info than that. Any thoughts about this?

My spyglass is set to realistic, but the most info I can get about other ships are only their names, and that only at close distance (I've got a masterwork spyglass). As I read the description in the options, it should show me a lot more info than that. Any thoughts about this?
When set to 'realistic', ALL spyglasses display only the names of ships, and nothing more. The better spyglasses simply give you a better view. :keith
However, I do think that it would make more sense to give a little more info, such as:
  • Ship type (most captains would be able to figure this out, but some ships from different categories look similar)
  • Ship class (should be fairly obvious for navy ships, but merchants are different)
Both these points are, in my opinion, reasonably realistic based on what can be deduced by 'spying' on enemy ships.
So why not make them appear on-screen for the 'realistic' spyglass option? :shrug
Some points such as the ship's nationality should, however, still be up to the player to figure out. (flags, *hint, hint*!)
Everything else would be near impossible to figure out realistically. Although, maybe it could display a rough estimate of the crew on board, based on type and class? Might help when deciding whether to board or not... :ixi

When set to 'realistic', ALL spyglasses display only the names of ships, and nothing more. The better spyglasses simply give you a better view. :keith
Thanks, so it's not a bug or problem on my side. And, actually it's realistic.

However, I do think that it would make more sense to give a little more info, such as:
  • Ship type (most captains would be able to figure this out, but some ships from different categories look similar)
  • Ship class (should be fairly obvious for navy ships, but merchants are different)
Both these points are, in my opinion, reasonably realistic based on what can be deduced by 'spying' on enemy ships.
So why not make them appear on-screen for the 'realistic' spyglass option? :shrug
Some points such as the ship's nationality should, however, still be up to the player to figure out. (flags, *hint, hint*!)

My thoughts exactly. The only additional info appearing should be what I don't know as the player, but my character should know as a captain. (Anyone know which setting is the closest to this?)

My shore party

(I'm doing the NH story, I just use the Devlin skins, because - y'know - they look cool xD: )

Where did you get your outfit and the hot chick outfit? I have never seen either of those at a tailor....
And I've been to a lot of tailors.

For my outfit, I've opened PROGRAM\Storyline\standard.c, then changed the line

sl.(sn).start.model = "Blaze";

to

sl.(sn).start.model = "Devlin";

and started a new game.

For the hottie Ms. Devlin skin, I found it at a pirate tailor. (No idea which one, maybe the one at Nevis Pirate Settlement)

We could edit what is displayed, but wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the Realistic Spyglass mod?
We'd almost go back to arcade settings then, so shouldn't you just switch to arcade instead?
We could split the various arcade vs. realistic settings in InternalSettings.h so people can create their own Realistic mode.

Back