• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Age of Pirates: Caribbean Tales - Historical Immersion Supermod

You seem to be doing pretty well on English grammar yourself. Perhaps you could have a look at those files?
Changing dialogs is definitely some of the easiest modding that can be done on AoP. :yes

You seem to be doing pretty well on English grammar yourself. Perhaps you could have a look at those files?
Changing dialogs is definitely some of the easiest modding that can be done on AoP. :yes

I'd like to give it a try, sure! :)

I have no clue how to go about modding, though! I'm usually taking advantage of other peoples hard work. :pSo either someone need to explain to me how to access the writing, or send me the text for me to edit.

A few more things I discovered while playing around. The new light warships; The Sloop of War and the Xebec have awful turning rates, while the Karack has excellent turn-rate. Shouldn't that be the other way around? A Brig sails in circles around a Xebec as it is now. Also, the 6th Rate Manowar has room for 100 guns. It looks like the Corvette, in fact I think it's supposed to be the Corvette with a new name, so I assume that's an error.

Finally, a suggestion. The Brig and the Corvette are both using 19th century models. Most other ships use 16th - 17th century models. They are both terribly overpowered in the original game. (patch 1.5). Their speed and agility, combined with their heavy armament, is so good that the only reason to ever employ a larger ship, is to bombard fortresses. I'd suggest the both are downgraded to max 16 pounders, and the Corvette downgraded to max 24 guns.

Once more, good luck! :)

The dialog files are in the Program\dialogs\english folder in your game directory. Those files can be opened and edited with the ordinary Windows Notepad.
Check the modified date on those files to see which ones are modified by the modpack.

Hi.

Downloaded and tried what you've done so far.

It is very much like the old Supermod so far. New ships, some new posibillities, marred by oddball stuff and terrible English grammar. What's the point of the drunkard in the inn? The English he relays his tale in, is so bad that I have a hard time understanding what's written and the XP you receive doesn't actually do anything. Same with the shipyard vendors. Awful english, although you ~have~ removed the screeching voices from the old Supermod and that is a very good thing.

You should have someone go through the writing with a very fine sieve and fix the odd stuff or remove it.

I'll try it again in a few weeks. Good luck and thanks for the effort. :)

The Drunkard at the inn was my idea to incorporate a new storyline for the Flying Dutchman.... so far no success. The XP bug is an ongoing problem that is fixed when you gain xp from anywhere when it states "experience earned". Can you tell me the specifics of which characters need fixing. I know the UI for capturing a ship has french text for cannons... (i dont know how to fix that). I have made a new text for the quester at the bar. I know there is some oddball stuff still in the brothel easter egg where the offensive content was removed, but the dialog hasn't been touched.

Interesting project, I'm really curious to see your final product Modder01. I was always a bit disappointed that this game never got the attention it deserved. There were really some things that it did better than POTC. It's unfortunate they decided to saddle it with Starforce.
Yes, very unfortunate. Part of the problem with modding this game is that you have to be prepared for unexpected glitches that starforce put in. I thank you for taking a good look at my work.

Hi Modder1

I'm still playing around with the mod, and after Pieter told me where to find the text files, I've started having a look at them.

I completely rewrote the dialogue for the drunkard. I had no idea that it was about the Flying Dutchman and instead made him tell a tale about how he sailed with Sharp's father. I also removed the money reward and left just a small 500 xp reward for listening. This is for my personal use only, as it is your mod. I just couldn't see a reason why a new character should receive a boost like that, as levelling is more than fast enough already, in my opinion.

I've started cleaning up the various dialogue files. Many of them look like they have been translated with Google or something similar.

If you want to see what I've done I'll happily send it to you.

I tried out some of the ships an I'd like to place a few additional comments:
It isn't the Carack, that is ridiculously maneuverable, but the Caravel. On the other hand, the Sloop of War and the Xebec are both useless, as already pointed out. I don't know if the sixth rate can actually carry 100 guns, but that's how it's listed in the shipyard.

Then there's a few historical facts:

A Sloop has nothing to do with a Sloop of War. A Sloop of War is the same as what the French called a Corvette. A small, fast and agile, three-masted, square-rigged warship with 18 - 24 guns.. More powerful than a Brig, but weaker than a Frigate.
So Corvettes and Sloops of War should be the same.

A sixth rate is the same as a Light Frigate. Three-masted, square-rigged, with 24 to 32 guns. Fast and agile, comparable with a Corvette.

A fifth rate is a Heavy Frigate. The same as above, but not quite so agile. 36 - 50 guns.

A fourth rate is a small Ship of the Line (Battleship), two-decked, with 50 - 64 guns.

A third rate is a medium Ship of the Line (Battleship), two-decked, with 68 to 84 guns.

A second rate is a large Ship of the Line (Battleship), three-decked, with 90 - 98 guns.

A first rate is a very large Ship of the Line (Battleship), three-decked or in one instance even four-decked, with 100 - 136 guns. The only four-decker ever built was the Spanish La Santisima Trinidad, who carried 136 guns.

All Ships of the Line has poor turning rates compared to a Frigate. However, a two-decker is much better than a three-decker. A two-decker is fairly fast, but less so than a large frigate. Frigates and Corvettes are amongst the fastest warships, but small Cutters, Sloops, Schooners and Xebecs are able to navigate much closer to the wind, due to their rigging.

Last edited:
Hi Modder1

I'm still playing around with the mod, and after Pieter told me where to find the text files, I've started having a look at them.

I completely rewrote the dialogue for the drunkard. I had no idea that it was about the Flying Dutchman and instead made him tell a tale about how he sailed with Sharp's father. I also removed the money reward and left just a small 500 xp reward for listening. This is for my personal use only, as it is your mod. I just couldn't see a reason why a new character should receive a boost like that, as levelling is more than fast enough already, in my opinion.

I've started cleaning up the various dialogue files. Many of them look like they have been translated with Google or something similar.

If you want to see what I've done I'll happily send it to you.

I tried out some of the ships an I'd like to place a few additional comments:
It isn't the Carack, that is ridiculously maneuverable, but the Caravel. On the other hand, the Sloop of War and the Xebec are both useless, as already pointed out. I don't know if the sixth rate can actually carry 100 guns, but that's how it's listed in the shipyard.

Then there's a few historical facts:

A Sloop has nothing to do with a Sloop of War. A Sloop of War is the same as what the French called a Corvette. A small, fast and agile, three-masted, square-rigged warship with 18 - 24 guns.. More powerful than a Brig, but weaker than a Frigate.
So Corvettes and Sloops of War should be the same.

A sixth rate is the same as a Light Frigate. Three-masted, square-rigged, with 24 to 32 guns. Fast and agile, comparable with a Corvette.

A fifth rate is a Heavy Frigate. The same as above, but not quite so agile. 36 - 50 guns.

A fourth rate is a small Ship of the Line (Battleship), two-decked, with 50 - 64 guns.

A third rate is a medium Ship of the Line (Battleship), two-decked, with 68 to 84 guns.

A second rate is a large Ship of the Line (Battleship), three-decked, with 90 - 98 guns.

A first rate is a very large Ship of the Line (Battleship), three-decked or in one instance even four-decked, with 100 - 136 guns. The only four-decker ever built was the Spanish La Santisima Trinidad, who carried 136 guns.

All Ships of the Line has poor turning rates compared to a Frigate. However, a two-decker is much better than a three-decker. A two-decker is fairly fast, but less so than a large frigate. Frigates and Corvettes are amongst the fastest warships, but small Cutters, Sloops, Schooners and Xebecs are able to navigate much closer to the wind, due to their rigging.

When you are done, I would like everything. I think the classifications and armaments are fine. I just want your input on the HP of the ships so I can accurately nerf/buff them.

P.S. The Dutchman Quest is not going to be implemented due to a glitch with the questing system. I will make a cheat from the main quest allowing you to get the overpowered ship and the unique sword and gun that goes with it. It will be found on the paper given to you when you defeat the pirate boss on Isla Mona.

Last edited:
P.S. The Dutchman Quest is not going to be implemented due to a glitch with the questing system.
What is the problem there? I've got a bit more time now and perhaps I can figure something out for you. :doff

What is the problem there? I've got a bit more time now and perhaps I can figure something out for you. :doff
Here is the original code:
Code:
{
//login Davy Jones
iChar = GenerateCharacter(PIRATE, WITH_SHIP, "officer", MAN, 1, BOSS);
characters[iChar].id = "Davy Jones";
characters[iChar].name = "Davy";
characters[iChar].lastname = "Jones";
characters[iChar].model = "pirate_5";
characters[iChar].Ship.Type = GenerateShip(SHIP_DUTCHMAN, 1);
characters[iChar].ship.name = "The Flying Dutchman";
characters[iChar].skill.Fencing = 10;
characters[iChar].skill.Gun = 10;
LAi_SetHP(CharacterFromID("Davy Jones"), 1000.0, 1000.0);
GiveItem2Character(CharacterFromID("Davy Jones"), "blade15");
EquipCharacterByItem(CharacterFromID("Davy Jones"), "blade15");
characters[iChar].cannotsurrender = 1;

if (characters[pchar].rank) >= 2;
GiveItem2Character(pchar, "pslip");

//generate encounter
iChar = GetCharacterIndex("Davy Jones");
DeleteAttribute(&characters[iChar], "seaai");
Group_CreateGroup("dutchman");
Group_AddCharacter("dutchman", "Davy Jones");
Group_SetGroupCommander("dutchman", "Davy Jones");
Group_SetAddress("dutchman", "grenada", "quest_ships", "quest_ship_1");
SetCharacterRelationBoth(nMainCharacterIndex, iChar, RELATION_ENEMY);
Group_SetTaskAttack("dutchman", PLAYER_GROUP);
Group_LockTask("dutchman");
UpdateRelations();

//start check: kill ships
pchar.quest.Kill_ships.win_condition.l1 = "npc_death";
pchar.quest.Kill_ships.win_condition.l1.character = iChar;
pchar.quest.Kill_ships.win_condition = "Ship dead";
trace("!!! sea spawned");

//start check: kill boss
LAi_SetCheckMinHP(CharacterFromID("Davy Jones"), 200.0, 0, "char_dead");

case "Ship dead":
//generate encounter
iChar = GetCharacterIndex("Davy Jones");
DeleteAttribute(&characters[iChar], "seaai");
Group_CreateGroup("dutchman");
Group_AddCharacter("dutchman", "Davy Jones");
Group_SetGroupCommander("dutchman", "Davy Jones");
Group_SetAddress("dutchman", "grenada", "quest_ships", "quest_ship_1");
SetCharacterRelationBoth(nMainCharacterIndex, iChar, RELATION_ENEMY);
Group_SetTaskAttack("dutchman", PLAYER_GROUP);
Group_LockTask("dutchman");
UpdateRelations();
break;

case "char_dead":
GiveItem2Character(pchar, "blade19");
GiveItem2Character(pchar, "gun6");
TakeItemFromCharacter(pchar, "pslip");
break;
}
The original quest was designed to start with giving the player "pslip" after the quester dialog finished at Bridgetown tavern. This quest was designed that if the player rank was greater than or equaled 2, the item pslip (slip of paper) would be given revealing the flying Dutchman's patrol route. Then a ship (Dutchman) will spawn around Grenada and if the player gets close the Dutchman would attack. If the Dutchman was sunk, it will respawn when you reloaded Grenada, but if you kill the captain on the ship (Davy Jones) you get to keep the ship and get his pistol and sword. Then the quest will end. All items referred in the code are already linked properly. I do not know why the Dutchman doesn't spawn nor why the quest isn't even being read by the quests.c file. Anyway I tested a new cheat that would give the Dutchman and the two items to the player as an alternative, but our old friend the "Tartane" was what spawned instead of the Dutchman. At least the items spawned into the inventory as coded. The Dutchman already works when bought from the store (developer mode enabled), but doesn't spawn.

Last edited:
Could you upload the full file you have that code in? Quests_reaction.c, I assume? Or a dialog file?

One thing I see already is a missing break; after:
Code:

When you are done, I would like everything. I think the classifications and armaments are fine. I just want your input on the HP of the ships so I can accurately nerf/buff them.

P.S. The Dutchman Quest is not going to be implemented due to a glitch with the questing system. I will make a cheat from the main quest allowing you to get the overpowered ship and the unique sword and gun that goes with it. It will be found on the paper given to you when you defeat the pirate boss on Isla Mona.
I'm making progress sifting through the dialogue files, it's fairly easy to edit. :)

I have to say that, after having played around with your mod, well aware of all the work you put in it, I disagree with a lot of the changes you've made. I find several of the new weapons absurdly overpowered. The Black Blunderbuss is especially bad. It's a gun that can be used by a lvl. 1 character, cost less than a thousand in a shop, sells for 500, and does 30 - 50 points of damage! Really. It makes every other gun in the game unecessary. Likewise I see no reason to give the Duellist's Dream four charges. It's an accurate and powerful gun, made for duels. That's why it has one charge.

I'm still looking through the ships, but I can say already that if the turning rates of the Xebec and the Sloop of War are not improved, they might as well not be in the game for all the good they are.

I took Bloody Michelle and La Mona with a single brig, on normal difficulty! Not even breaking as sweat, just close in and board them. With the skeleton crews you've given them, that is way to easy, in my opinion.

A very positive thing is that there's a lot fewer corvettes (6th rate warships, as you've named them) around now, and you can't buy them in basic shipyards. That's good, because they are very powerful ships. I finally got my hands on one and it carries the usual 32 guns. So the 100 guns it is described to have in the shipyards must be an error in that list. Looking for it.

Also you've changed the brig to only carry 16 pounders. I very much approve.

Could you upload the full file you have that code in? Quests_reaction.c, I assume? Or a dialog file?

One thing I see already is a missing break; after:
Code:
The Zip file contains the current quest file, the quest controller file and the code that I based it on (story line.c). I can also upload the dialog file if you want.

Attachments

• Quests.zip
    17.4 KB · Views: 280
Hi. I've rewritten most of the dialog now, and uploaded the English dialog folder. The Drunkard Quest is my take on it. If you want me to rewrite that into what you originally intended, when you've gotten it to work, then let me know. Some of the dialog does not seem to be used. There is quite a few lines connected to the raiders found outside the colonies when traveling overland. These raiders still don't work. They charge and appear hostile, but they don't speak nor attack. Attacking them often results in lack of reputation with a faction.

Attachments

• english.rar
    94.4 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
Hi. I've rewritten most of the dialog now, and uploaded the English dialog folder. The Drunkard Quest is my take on it. If you want me to rewrite that into what you originally intended, when you've gotten it to work, then let me know. Some of the dialog does not seem to be used. There is quite a few lines connected to the raiders found outside the colonies when traveling overland. These raiders still don't work. They charge and appear hostile, but they don't speak nor attack. Attacking them often results in lack of reputation with a faction.
Your work is most appreciated! I did edit the drunkard quest again to make it smoother (minor - changed 2-3 things), but I like the way you captured the storyline into the story the drunkard tells. I also edited the exp and money given at the end. The starting money (even the modded one) is enough to fully upgrade your starting ship, but not to buy a new ship, so to help contribute to such an upgrade, the drunkard will give 10,000 gold along with 1,000 experience for your trouble of hearing his story. The code for the "welcomer" to say the full name of the character is superb! That is exactly the way I wanted it when I drafted the welcomer's revised dialog. I also implemented that code in the drunkard dialog too to smooth out the rough edges there. Overall great job and I am thoroughly impressed!

Anyway, I would like more information on what ships and values need changing. Here is my take on balancing.
The classes of ship except for the last ship in the class should be balanced, but not exactly equal. The last ship should be overpowered to the rest of the ships in its class number, but shouldn't be more overpowered than the first of the next class.

Example:
If a lugger and sloop is class 7 and the sloop is the last of the class number (7), then the sloop would be able to easily kill the lugger in 4 broadsides (or similar tactics for speed), but the sloop would be easily taken out by the brig who is, in this example, a class 6 ship.

Last edited:
Took a quick look at the code.
What is the meaning of quester1.c ?
As far as I can see it's never included so no wonder it isn't run. Also it's missing a main function.
Take a closer look at how the storyline file works and make it like that (so with all cases etc.).
If you want it to be a seperate file you need to add a function just like the storyline at the start of the file (you can copy everything untill the switch) and make sure you take the same architecture as the switch.
Name the function differently.
so it should look something like this:
Code:
void YourQuestComplete(string sQuestName, string qname)
{
    ref chr;

//trace("--- QUEST " + sQuestName + " CHECKED ---");
    int iChar = -1;
    int iShipChar = -1;
    string sVideoFile = "";

switch(sQuestName)
    {
       HERE IS YOUR CONTENT WITH CASES
    }
}
In quest.c add a include for you file like this
Code:
#include "quests\quester1.c"
and in that file search for "StoryLineQuestComplete".
Add your function after that so like this:
Code:
StoryLineQuestComplete(sQuestName, qname);
YourQuestComplete(sQuestName, qname);
Then it should run it to.

Please tag me if you have more questions cause I normally dont look here.

@Levis: I don't think that is the main problem. @Modder01 was trying to do some work on a Flying Dutchman quest as per the posts earlier in this thread....

I've looked at the code he provided and these are the problems I found in that code. He said it didn't run and if he does what I say it will run altough I would need to fix some more things but if he starts with this he can debug it himself probally cause it will at least run.

Back