• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

ABC eyes up new Pirates Drama

Thagarr

Pining for the Fjords!
Creative Support
Storm Modder
Public Relations
Hearts of Oak Donator
Pirate Legend
I am usually very hesitant about any new TV show, but I can't pass this one up, it's about me favorite subject! Most of these network shows are written more for ratings than to actually tell a story, and most of the time the story they are telling is just a rehash of a an old movie or just a plain ripoff of Treasure Island. I had high hopes for Crusoe on NBC last year ...but that one ended up laying an egg too. It was more like POTC meets the Swiss Family Robinson in my opinion! But I will probably give this one a chance if it ever makes it to production, read on for more!

ABC eyes up new Pirates Drama

Written by Luke Edwards
Thursday, 19 November 2009 09:40

ABCRDF Media is developing a new pirate based drama for ABC Family, one of the ABC channels. The proposed drama will be targeted at the Merlin audiences, the BBC fantasy drama which aired on NBC in America. ABC has commissioned for scripts of the pirate drama and is widely expected to give the green light for a 13 part series to air in 2010. Young Bucks will centre on two ‘Robin Hood’ style pirates, Carver and Dre, and their adventures onboard the ship The Sea Wind.

If ABC does give the series the green-light it will be filmed in the South Pacific as a co-production between RDF Media and ABC Family. Elaine Spencer will be the executive producer while it will be written by Steve Mitchell, Craig Van Sickle, Richard Kurti, Bev Doyle and Daneil Arkin. RDF are also currently working on another show for the American audience; Being Human. The production company has been given the green-light from the SyFy Channel to produce a remake of the British series for American audiences.

Young Bucks isn’t the only pirate based drama in development as with the success of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies television executives are hoping to cash in on the pirate brand and create their own shows. The BBC has been developing their own pirate drama for a few months now though little details have emerged concerning it. Disney is also keen to continue its pirate franchise with a 4th instalment in the Pirates of the Caribbean series.

Original story here :
http://www.atvnewsnetwork.co.uk/today/index.php/atv-today/1774-abc-eyes-up-new-pirates-drama

I am more curious about the progress of the BBC. They did a pretty good job on Merlin. Those English are just a tad better at making historical accurate series in contrast to their American counterpart.

This post caused a strange vision to go through my head.

Desie Arnaz and Lucille Ball in a Pirates sit-com.

Can't you just see Desie playing "Babalou" as he attacks a Spanish Galleon.

Fred and Ethyl as the inn-keepers of the favorite hideout.

And Lucy always trying to get on board Desie's ship to go a-hunting

24.gif
Little Ricky as the powder monkey!

I agree Thomas, the BBC usually has MUCH better production quality than anything produced on American TV. A lot of what appears on The Discovery Channel and the History Channel are produced either by the BBC or in association with the BBC, one of the reasons those are two of the channels I watch most. I'll look around this weekend when I have time and see if I can dig up any more on that BBC production

I didn't even comment on them mentioning the "Sy-Fy" channel, they may as well call themselves the "We'll do anything for ratings" channel. They have been an insult to science fiction fans for a long time now. The only reason their recent "Battlestar Galactica" was even remotely watchable, was because there was British involvement in that production as well.

I didn't even comment on them mentioning the "Sy-Fy" channel, they may as well call themselves the "We'll do anything for ratings" channel. They have been an insult to science fiction fans for a long time now.
At least they have dramatically more Scifi in their Sy-Fy

than the history that is claimed to be in the History Channel

{Here we are comparing a number to the concept of absolute zero.}

I was also a bit disappointed in History channel. They don't have that much history anymore. They do have Universe mystery things, Ice truckers (History wtf?) mega movers (sorry, what? And if they do have any history, it is mostly WOII. WOII is history, but still why exactly THOSE 5 years of human history.

Roman and Barbarian series are great though.

Roman and Barbarian series are great though.

I agree some of there programing lately is questionable, I was mainly referring to the older shows that actually did contain history, like The Great Ships, Engineering an Empire, Trains Unlimited, and of course Barbarians! My personal favorite! :onya They still show some of the classics produced by A&E as well, like the Hornblower series. I hardly watch much TV anymore, almost everything has become based on "Reality" programming. I still occasionally catch some of the re-runs of those classic shows from time to time.

I was also a bit disappointed in History channel. They don't have that much history anymore.
pay attention to the shows about history

and pay yourself 5 cents for every mistake they portray as reality

you'll owe yourself enough to buy Saudi Arabia

Heck, in Junior Highschool, I would have failed history for writing the crap they air.

:rofl not to mention a very stern talking-to by the English teacher :rofl

I found a very nice documentary made by the BBC, it is called Broadside and it is about the Anglo-Dutch wars in the 17th century. You can check some teasers on youtube. They used computer animations to make huge fleet to fleet battles.

http://www.broadsidethefilm.com/promo/

Their own site with 5 teasers.

I'm in total agreement with rupertlittlebear. I went so far as to write hate mail a couple of times detailing their inaccuracies and citing my sources....waste of effort, never got a response. It really pisses me off sometimes. I will just change the channel. And what's with some of the movies they play sometimes. They had a whole deal on Star Wars the other day. I like Star Wars, but how is that history?

Thomas, pasting my earlier comments below on Broadside. It did have some BBC advisors, but wasn't made by BBC. Actually an up and coming historical production company out of Cambridge Mass called DOCEMA. Very hopeful! I was very impressed that they actually interviewed the great Dutch historian Jaap R. Bruijn who wrote one of my favorite books and landmark work: The Dutch Navy of the Seventeenth and Eighteenth Centuries.

MK

Posted 16 October 2009 - 09:46 AM

I got the package in the mail yesterday. I think it's a great value. For 30 bucks you get the PBS Broadside video: Emerging Empires Collide, Anglo-Dutch Conflicts 1650-1680. This video is outstanding! What a great story. Not only are the computer virtual battle animations very good, but the actors and dialogue is great. DeWitt, DuRuyter, Tromp, Pepys, and Charles II all look like dead ringers from their portraits. Of particular amusement is Tromp's line towards the end after ceding New Amsterdam(New York) for Surinam and Pulo Run. He says they would lose New Netherland anyway from over breeding alone with their "Anglo-turd babies" everywhere. I died laughing, but the protagonist and antagonist passion really comes out in the acting. The only criticism I'd offer is that the Anglo point of view is a little more represented than the Dutch. They also leave out some small but important details like the Dutch blockade of the Thames prior to the Medway raid. I was also annoyed at the attribution of line ahead tactics to the English when the tactic/technique (while not yet formally codified) had been used prior to the Anglo Dutch wars by several nations including Dutch commanders against the Spanish even.

Along with the video you get a two inch thick 404 page book: "The Four Days Battle of 1666; The Greatest Sea Fight of the Age of Sail". Obviously haven't read yet, but looks to be very well researched with good sources cited.

For both items, I think this is a very good value for the money with extremely good content.

I'm still waiting on a reply from the DOCEMA tech folks on what models might be available.

V/R AS

Sounds like a great gift then. Still, I have no credit card so there is a small chance I can aquire it online. Even if we got the models, those must be huge MB-ically (a word I just invented) speaking. I like the fact that the men who plays Admiral Trump speaks with a very heavy Dutch/German accent. Makes it feel more real.

Agree on the Dutch accents. Very good! On the models, I'm meeting with a guy first week of Dec at a tradeshow. Don't hold your breath. Most of the 3d virtual libraries I deal with (METAVR) have expensive licenses for open access to their models, but these are sailing ships, so how viable are those in commercial applications....not so much I'm thinking. If I can get them all you guys could at least play with them. The ones of the Zeven Provincien and HMS Prince are absolutely gorgeous. MK

Back