• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help A Hawk's take-off (Main Quest tips)

Hi there lads!

One thing caught my eyes recently; the number of ability points needed to unlock all perks is 94. How hard is it to achieve it in order to unlock all abilities? I know it must have been done that way so to encourage players to make use of the officers system, but it would still be cool to unlock all of them for your character.

Thanks in advance.

PS: I reached level 6 with Nathaniel and no better-than-normal spyglass appeared, I'm almost sure it might be considered normal still, but if I get to level 10 and no signs of it still, I'll start worrying as with Laurens.
Hope that the fixes for the Fetching tradesman quests and for the Hp curse bug get into the build soon. @Pieter, I still can't help with deeper coding but I can help with the testing. :onya

I know it must have been done that way so to encourage players to make use of the officers system, but it would still be cool to unlock all of them for your character.
One character alone should not ever be able to do everything by himself.
I know many games are set up so that by the end the player is some sort of superhero.
But that always strikes me as being quite nuts. :shock

Hope that the fixes for the Fetching tradesman quests and for the Hp curse bug get into the build soon.
HP thing hasn't been fixed yet at all.

PS - @Black Iron Oyster in your post I think you have tagged the wrong Pieter :napoleon
Definitely. But I read all posts anyway.

One character alone should not ever be able to do everything by himself.
I know many games are set up so that by the end the player is some sort of superhero.
But that always strikes me as being quite nuts. :shock

So, don't you want lucky capt'n to be superhero, eh? Arr! :aar

Would it be too troublesome to give an option in the in-game menu to get 2 ability points per level (a 1/2 switch) for people that would like to become legendary pirates?

Speaking about legend and fantasy and stuff like that. I remember you @PieterBoelen (now it should be right), said you preferred realist over fantastic elements (like in Cutthroat Island x PotC movies) but many people like it. I also remember that some years ago when I played the vanilla, it was great to fight skeletons in the dungeons, it was frightening, tense and rewarding. Maybe in an unknown future we could maybe separate characters and storylines by the availability or not of fantastic elements. What do you think? Maybe add magical powers who knows? And Maybe, that idea may be transported over to HoO too, giving space for both people who want realism and people who'd like some fantasy.

HP thing hasn't been fixed yet at all.

I know that, it doesn't prevent me from hoping that it get out as soon as possible. :razz

Definitely. But I read all posts anyway.

:read:onya

Would it be too troublesome to give an option in the in-game menu to get 2 ability points per level (a 1/2 switch) for people that would like to become legendary pirates?
Already exists outside the in-game menu. See the top of PROGRAM\Characters\Leveling.c:
Code:
#define ADD_SKILLPOINTS_PERLEVEL     2     // INT - The amount of new skill points added each level up for ALL characters (player and officers)
#define ADD_ABILITYPOINTS_PERLEVEL     1     // INT - The amount of new ability points added each level up for ALL characters (player and officers)

May be even easier to use the Level-Up cheats though.

@PieterBoelen (now it should be right)
Space missing.

I remember you [...] said you preferred realist over fantastic elements (like in Cutthroat Island x PotC movies) but many people like it.
Yes, indeed I do prefer a generally realistic game experience.
But I am very well aware that "arcade" and "fantasy" elements are wanted by quite a few people out there and even right here.
In fact, I am probably this community's strongest defender for those type of gameplay elements.
Which seems to have made me quite disliked by those people who want realism above all else. :wp

Did you ever notice the Black Pearl trailing fog at night? The "Curse of Cortez" functionality?
The submerging Flying Dutchman with the Kraken feature? The "Greek Fire" from the Queen Anne's Revenge?
Despite me generally preferring realism, it was ME who added all those features.
On the other hand, it was also me who added the extreme realism "Iron Man Game Mode" option. So it goes both ways with me.

It so happens that I like the PotC films myself as well.
The first more than the sequels, because the first film was BRILLIANT and the sequels started to get quite stupid.
Seriously? Gattling cannon bow chasers? A "Flying Dutchman" that doesn't fly and is in no way Dutch? What's up with that?!?
And don't get me started on the "Sailing on sand" scene in At World's End. That worked far better in The Adventures of Tintin!

I welcome limited fantasy elements. But it has to remain "limited".
If it is all-out fantastic zaniness, then the fantastic becomes normal and it is no longer special.
And that seems like a shame to me. It should be special.

I also remember that some years ago when I played the vanilla, it was great to fight skeletons in the dungeons, it was frightening, tense and rewarding. Maybe in an unknown future we could maybe separate characters and storylines by the availability or not of fantastic elements. What do you think? Maybe add magical powers who knows?
That is already the case. Fantasy elements are part of various storylines in those places where they make sense within the story.
And the "Curse of Cortez" is active or not depending on the storyline (it is active in the Standard and Devlin Opera storylines, but inactive by default in all the others).

I would not want there to be random skeletons in random dungeons like in the original game, because there is no reason for them to be there.
This is different for the Bridgetown Maltese Knight Abbey, because there is a reason for them to be there and actually has some quite interesting back-story.
That should serve quite nicely for those who want to fight truly scary and rewarding skeletons outside the story-lines.

And Maybe, that idea may be transported over to HoO too, giving space for both people who want realism and people who'd like some fantasy.
This is what I wrote on that already back in 2012:
At a Glance: First Game Concept feature - Hearts of Oak: Conquest of the Seas
So if it were up to me, the same level of fantasy you can find in PotC: New Horizons should be welcome in HoO as well.
However, it so happens that it is not up to me.

People who are not particularly familiar with life at sea and get their knowledge from TV often think that the captain sails the ship by himself.
But nothing could be further from the truth.

I have worked as an officer at sea in real life for a good many years and have a pretty good idea of what it is like.
While many captains may want to be like a superhero, I can guarantee you it doesn't work like that.

So to answer your question: No, I do not want that. A captain should need his officers.

Last edited:
Space missing.

:facepalm:D

...Did you ever notice the Black Pearl trailing fog at night? The "Curse of Cortez" functionality?
The submerging Flying Dutchman with the Kraken feature?
About those ones I knew, didn't knew about all the rest. I was missing the skeletons and thought there would be no place to find them anymore. But now that you clarified that to me, I like the way you did it and am anxious to get there. :onya

I welcome limited fantasy elements. ...It should be special.
Now that you've said your point I changed my mind. I agree, in a game like this it's more exciting to have those fantastical moments only once in a while. If there were too much of them it would change the spirit of the game, it would be a brand new one.

This is what I wrote on that already back in 2012:
At a Glance: First Game Concept feature - Hearts of Oak: Conquest of the Seas
So if it were up to me, the same level of fantasy you can find in PotC: New Horizons should be welcome in HoO as well.
However, it so happens that it is not up to me.

Hope the team working on it give players the option. In one game setting you have as much realism as you want, in the other arcade and fantasy.

People who are not particularly familiar with life at sea and get their knowledge from TV often think that the captain sails the ship by himself.
But nothing could be further from the truth.

I have worked as an officer at sea in real life for a good many years and have a pretty good idea of what it is like.
While many captains may want to be like a superhero, I can guarantee you it doesn't work like that.

Didn't say that, neither. Just had the framework of the superhero at game-end embedded in my mind.

You probably didn't get my joke, @Pieter Boelen (Aha!). I'm like of creating a role play with mister lucky capt'n from the screenshots thread, to make some fun out of things. Arr! :flower It was like Nathaniel "Lucky Capt'n" Hawk was speaking about himself to you. Ye see? Arr!
So when you see a Arr! at end you know it's him, and supposed be funny. Arr!

A captain should need his officers.

A lucky capt'n should be able to get good officers too, eh? Arr!

Hey @Pieter Boelen, just read your stages concepts division for HoO on realism x arcade and realism x fantasy, and it's perfect. The first priority is to get a real world working and then add fantasy to it, allowing for players choice and storylines specialized on either or mixed, even. Hope the HoO follows these guidelines.

Back