• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

A Girl Won in a Card Game

Grey Roger

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Storm Modder
I don't know whether the side quest "A Girl Won in a Card Game" is supposed to show up in the "Assassin" storyline. For me, it did. I'd been playing dice against a few people in taverns, then one of them gave the usual preamble which leads to the quest. The first time, this was the result:
woman_card_game.jpg
Log files are attached.

As it happened, I had a saved game from just outside the tavern where this happened, so I reloaded, went in again, talked to the same guy again, he challenged me to play for the girl again, and this time he showed up correctly in the room. The game went according to plan and I got the girl. Then I went downstairs and challenged him again, and he played again, which is not what usually happens - normally he only offers the girl if you're already beaten him to the point where previous gamblers refused to continue any more. This time he not only played again, he had a lot of money, more than any previous gambler - I took several lots of 500 gold off him. After that I took the girl to Martinique where the quest played out to completion as normal.

Attachments

• compile.zip
    12.4 KB · Views: 280
  • error.zip
    742 bytes · Views: 271
  • system.zip
    1.7 KB · Views: 259
It still behaved oddly, though. At least in the past, I've only been offered the wager for the girl after I've beaten lots of gamblers who then refuse to play again, then beaten this one who offers the game for the girl and who then refuses to play again afterwards. This time I hadn't beaten as many gamblers. Then I talked to this one, the first thing he did was plead empty pockets and offer the game for the girl, then after I'd won that he allowed me to play again and had more money than any two previous gamblers put together.

But.... did it actually work in the end?
Yes, I took the lady to Martinique, went into the tavern, had the normal encounter, and ended up getting rewarded by the governor as usual. I didn't get to test whether the governor gives you an amnesty because this storyline puts you on the side of Spain, allied to France, so I don't have a criminal record with France. It was just the dice game which started the quest that went a bit differently from how it's gone in previous games. Whether that's because it's changed in Beta 3.3 or because normally I do that quest in "Tales of a Sea Hawk", I don't know.

And it wouldn't have worked if I hadn't had a saved game right outside the tavern because of the bug - see the picture and logs in the initial report. ;)

The first time it happened, when it went wrong, was there anything different? For example, was the guy sitting inside another character?
If it worked for you in the end, then clearly it is an inconsistent bug.
Those are the worst type, because they are hard to reproduce and you never know when they're going to stike. :facepalm

I haven't done that one in a while, mostly because I am a lousy gambler and keep losing. But it went the way it did for Grey Roger the 2nd time. The guy offered the girl right away.

The only odd thing I noticed on both occasions was that the gambler started by offering the game for the girl. Normally you're supposed to play until you've taken all his money, then he puts up the girl for a final wager, then he won't play any more. Both the time when I got the error and the time when the gambler appeared upstairs, his first offer was to play for the girl.

But I don't recall anybody else trying to sit in his place on either occasion. But if the character sitting on his knee was the invisible "fantom character <2>" mentioned in the error report in the room upstairs then I wouldn't have seen him. ;)

If it's of any significance, this was the tavern at the smugglers' settlement on Concepcion.

Should work in any tavern, really.
The "fantom character" is probably the gambler himself.

Back