• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Poll [4.1] Standard Storyline: Escape From Prison Excessively Difficult

How should the escape scene be altered?

• remove the 2 guards which are added (on lower difficulty).

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Do nothing, the escape isn't to hard

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
@Grey Roger could you maybe take a look at it and see if you could add the option?
Not any time soon, partly because the Cossack is taking longer than I'd expected and partly because when I next get to playtesting and serious modding, it will be to get on with "Ardent"...

Are the guards spawned BY the questcase?
In that case, we could probably just "steal" their muskets and give them something else instead.
well they are moved to the location from somewhere else. Altough I suspect they are just quest characters. But would need to test it. If they aren't initialized yet they will be on the first location load. so you would need to and a QuestDelay then to make sure the part of the questcode is only triggered once the location is loaded.

So as I see it we got 3 options:

1) remove the 2 guards which are added (on lower difficulty).
2) use heavier modifiers to make these guards even weakers
3) Remove the muskets from the guards (and give them something else).

All three of these options wouldn't be very hard to program.
There is a fourth option which would require some more work. this is:
4) Add option in edgars dialog where you can choose to stay in the cell untill silehard helps you

I've played this scene under the 28th July version plus fixes pack. I didn't have too much trouble wiping out the guards, but did find something else odd.

You talk to Attwood and he releases you. There are four guards in total; two who wander around and who are relatively weak on HP and armed with random weapons, plus two who stay round near the exit and are tough guys armed with muskets. The wanderers completely ignore you as you walk from your cell. At least, they ignore you until you get round the corner because the fight is triggered when you reach a certain locator.

Suggestion: make the guards hostile immediately after Attwood releases you. If the wanderers are nearby then you can kill them before dealing with the tough guys. If they're both further along the corridor then you can take on all four guards by making use of corners and bottleneck gates.

Alternatively, put a 'vcskip' on the prison for the duration of this scene. That ought to get rid of two of the guards, probably the wanderers, as well as any additional random prisoner who may be in the cell with you.

Are those "tough guys" not the ones placed there through the character init files?
If so, "vcskip" wouldn't make a difference.

The two weaker ones I'd assume to be two specific quest guys who are placed there only for that particular scene.

The tough guys, "Eng_soldier_35" and "Eng_soldier_36", are indeed placed there by "PROGRAM\Characters\init\Redmond.c". They're also the ones you have to kill in the quest:
Code:
       pchar.quest.kill_all_soldiers_in_prison.win_condition.l1 = "NPC_Death";
       pchar.quest.kill_all_soldiers_in_prison.win_condition.l1.character = "Eng_soldier_35";
       pchar.quest.kill_all_soldiers_in_prison.win_condition.l2 = "NPC_Death";
       pchar.quest.kill_all_soldiers_in_prison.win_condition.l2.character = "Eng_soldier_36";
       pchar.quest.kill_all_soldiers_in_prison.win_condition = "kill_all_soldiers_in_prison_complete";
The two others are random guards who seem to be placed in prisons by some other code. I've met their equivalents in Guadeloupe prison while developing "Ardent". They're the wanderers with low HP and random weapons, and certainly the ones in Guadeloupe can be removed by 'vcskip'.

Back